Recently, the Southern Railway Headquarters officials, led by the General Manager, had a meeting with the elected representatives of the constituencies in Salem Division.
Various demands and suggestions were put forth by the representatives at the meeting. Salem Division has sent a slew of proposals to SR Headquarters. These include the following:
- A daily overnight train between Rameswaram and Coimbatore vial Podanur Jn, Pollachi, Dindigul, Madurai, and Manamadurai. This restores the connection that was snapped when the Podanur Pollachi Dindigul section was closed for gauge conversion.
- Extension of Mangalore Coimbatore Inter City Express to Mettupalaiyam.
- A much-needed and decade-lng demand of overnight express between Coimbatore and Bengaluru. This is proposed as a daily train.
- Coimbatore Guwahati fully unreserved or Antyodaya Weekly Express via Salem, Katpadi, Renigunta onwards, without touching Chennai.
- Integration of two passenger services to from a Coimbatore Tirunelveli day time Fast Passenger.
All these proposals are, however, subject to approvals not only from SR HQ, but also from other Divisions and Zones.